You will do some of the habits in HabitMinder multiple times a day. Examples include walking and hydrating. Other habits, however, have a frequency of once a day. Examples include squats or meditating. Then there are habits which you will not do every day. The frequency of these habits depends on the type. Examples include going to the gym, giving a gift, or trying something new.
The Frequency setting in HabitMinder lets you customise the frequency of each habit according to your needs. This includes changing when you receive a reminder for a particular habit as well as changing when it appears on HabitMinder's home screen.
The default setting for each habit is a daily frequency with variable reminder settings depending on the habit. You can change the frequency setting at any time, including when you first add a new habit.
Change Frequency Settings of a New Habit
1. To change the frequency of a newly added habit, tap the Frequency field after you add the habit.
Change Frequency Settings of an Existing habit
1. To change the frequency of an existing habit, tap the habit on HabitMinder's home screen.
2. Tap the three-dot icon at the top of the screen.
4. Tap Habit Settings.
5. Tap the Frequency field.
See below for more information on the daily, weekly, and monthly frequency options that are available once you are in the Frequency settings page.
Daily Frequency Options
1. To set a daily frequency, make sure the Daily button is highlighted.
2. You can then choose which days of the week to do the habit. The default setting is seven days but you can remove days by tapping them. In this example, we removed Saturday and Sunday.
3. The next heading on the screen is Reminder where you will see the default reminders - in this example, there is only one reminder but other habits may have more than one default reminder. You can remove the default reminders by switching the toggle button to off.
4. You can also add a new reminder by tapping Add.
5. Select the time and tap Done.
6. The new reminder will then appear on the Frequency settings page.
7. You can also toggle this reminder on and off.
8. Once finished, tap Save.
Weekly Frequency Options
1. To set a weekly frequency, tap the Weekly button to highlight it.
2. The frequency options you have are between 1 and 6 times a week. To change the frequency, tap on one of these options.
3. In this example, the frequency is twice a week. This means the habit will appear on the HabitMinder home screen on Monday and you will get a reminder. It will continue to appear until you mark it complete twice during the week. You will then not see the habit again or get any reminders until the following Monday. Here is an example:
- Monday - habit appears on home screen and you get a reminder - you don't do the habit
- Tuesday - habit appears on home screen and you get a reminder - you do the habit for the first of two times that week so you mark it as complete
- Wednesday - habit appears on home screen and you get a reminder - you don't do the habit
- Thursday - habit appears on home screen and you get a reminder - you do the habit for the second and last time that week so you mark it as complete
- Friday - the habit does not appear on the home screen and you don't get a reminder
- Saturday - the habit does not appear on the home screen and you don't get a reminder
- Sunday - the habit does not appear on the home screen and you don't get a reminder
5. In addition to frequency options, you can also change the reminder settings of the habit by tapping on the options. They are None, Morning, Afternoon, or Evening.
6. Tap Save when done.
Monthly Frequency Options
1. To set a monthly frequency, tap the Monthly button to highlight it.
2. This sets the habit to once a month. You can change when in the month you want to complete the habit, however. The Time of Month options are Beginning, Middle, and End.
3. Each option has pre-defined dates:
- Beginning - you will see the habit on HabitMinder from the 1st to the 10th of the month or until you complete it
- Middle - you will see the habit on HabitMinder from the 11th to the 20th of the month or until you complete it
- End - you will see the habit on HabitMinder from the 21st to the end of the month or until you complete it
Here are some examples to explain further:
- Habit frequency set to the Middle of the month so it doesn't appear on HabitMinder between 1st and 10th. There are no reminders either. The habit then appears on HabitMinder and you get your first reminder on the 11th of the month. This continues daily until the 20th of the month as you don't complete the habit. It then disappears from the home screen and you stop receiving reminders for the remainder of the month.
- Habit frequency set to the Beginning of the month so you see it on the home screen on the 1st. You also get a reminder. You then complete the habit on the 5th of the month. The habit then disappears from HabitMinder's home screen for the rest of the month, not appearing again until the start of the next month. You also stop receiving reminders.
4. In addition to changing the Time of Month settings, you can also change the reminder settings. The options are None, Morning, Afternoon, and Evening.
5. Once finished, tap Save.