FitnessView keeps track of your workouts to help you achieve your fitness goals. You can customize Workout settings to make this feature of the app more applicable to your requirements.
Follow these steps to edit Workout settings
1. Tap on the Settings icon at the bottom of FitnessView's main screen.
2. Tap Workout Settings
3. The first customization options available are units of measurement.
4. Tap Distance to switch between miles and kilometers.
5. Tap Energy to switch between calories (kcal) and kilojoules (kJ).
6. You can also change the appearance of Workouts in FitnessView. Tap Color.
7. Select the color you want to use.
8. Finally, you can update the Estimate Max Heart Rate section.
See below for a more detailed description of the maximum heart rate settings in FitnessView.
Maximum Heart Rate
Your maximum heart rate is the highest heart rate you can have during exercise before you begin experiencing problems. Maximum heart rate is measured as HRmax.
As everyone is different, the most accurate way of measuring HRmax is through a cardiac stress test. This is typically done under medical supervision and involves taking part in exercise with graduating levels of intensity. During this exercise, you are monitored with an ECG.
Going through a cardiac stress test is not practical for everyone, so formulas have been developed that can estimate your HRmax.
FitnessView uses various recognized HRmax formulas to calculate your maximum heart rate. The most common is based on research by Nes et al. That research involved 3,320 people.
You can change the formula used by FitnessView to calculate your maximum heart rate. The formulas available are:
- Tanaka, Monahan, & Seals
- Haskell & Fox
- Miller et al
- Londeree and Moeschberger
Use the following steps to change the settings used by FitnessView to calculate your maximum heart rate or HRmax:
1. Formulas used to calculate HRmax are based on age as your maximum heart rate typically decreases as you get older. So, the first thing you need to do in FitnessView is to update your date of birth. Tap on the Date of Birth section.
2. Change the date as required.
3. The final setting you can change is the formula FitnessView uses to calculate your maximum heart rate. The default setting is the Nes et al formula. To change this, tape on HRmax Formula.
4. Select the option you want then tap Workouts to go back.
5. Once you have updated the HRmax settings, you can see FitnessViews Workout Calculations. FitnessView uses your maximum heart rate estimate to calculate the estimated heart rate ranges you can expect depending on the level of exercise intensity.